(From Left to Right)
Front Row: Miss Sally Poh, Miss Norashikin (SH EL), Mr Kenneth Chye (HOD EL), Miss Zahratul Asyeeqah, Mr Derek Han (ST Lit)
2nd Row: Mdm Rozilawati, Miss Mookaiah Manonmani, Ms Michelle Chang (HOD Discipline), Mrs Daphne Kirishanan, Mr Jonah Wang, Miss Claudia Choo
Back Row: Mr Menjit Singh, Ms Ynez Lim, Miss Kng Hwee Mae, Miss Vanessa Yeo, Miss Puah Cai Ling
Inspire and nurture students to be effective communicators who share
In the English Language Department, we believe that every Northstar is a STAR. A Northstar is a learner who
We want to inspire students to love the language and hone the use of the English medium through everyday interaction and special programmes. These programmes include -
- Creative Writing Programme – Northstars develop their writers’ craft through exposure to a wide range of creative writing techniques in recounts and expositions.
- Oracy Programme – Through Take the Mic, Northstars are given the platform to articulate their opinions on their interest and cause.
Our literary talents are further nurtured for competitions such as –
- Chong Pang Next Top Speaker
- International Competitions and Assessments for Schools (ICAS)
- REACH Assessments
- National Schools Literature Festival
The aims of the English Literature Curriculum are to:
- To hone students’ skills of literary appreciation and for the development of perceptive and logical thinking
- To enable students to understand and analyse the various literary works
- To provide opportunities for students to write creatively and enhance their ability to understand the thought processes behind literary works
Take the Mic
Be an English STAR! Develop your confidence in public speaking and share your interests with your friends! Who knows where this may take you?
Look at texts and pages on novels and 'shine a torch' on words from the pages that speak to your heart. Create your own poem out of those words.
Unleash your inner poet through the Literature unit at Northland!